Since changing to a grain-free diet, I have been trying different types of waffles, both sweet and savory with marginal results. I finally found these which are very satisfying. I would say that they even have a better flavor than typical wheat waffles. The whipped eggs and baking powder combine to give the some lift.
They can be made either sweet by adding some cinammin, or savory by using an herb. Thyme sounds good.
- 2 cup flax seed flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 large eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs for savory
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon for sweet
- Preheat your waffle iron for crisp waffles
- Combine flax seed, baking powder and sea salt in a large bowl, whisking to fully combine.
- In a blender, puree eggs, water and oil until foamy, about 30 seconds
- Pour the liquid into the bowl with dry ingredients.
- Fold the wet and dry ingredients together until just incorporated. It should be very fluffy. Let it sit for a few minutes for the flax flour to swell and the baking powder adds volume.
- Fold in either the fresh herbs or cinnamon.
- Cook in waffle maker until finished.
- Enjoy immediately. I prefer butter and real maple syrup. They also keep well in an air-tight bag in the refrigerator or freezer.
Share this Recipe
Leave a Reply